These people never got a sense of justice, and who knows if they ever will, but it sounds like they might be keeping slightly closer to it with the latest developments by Rick Westhead of TSN.
Last week, Westhead is the one who shed light on reports that “Chicago Blackhawks senior management allegedly refused to file a report to Chicago police during the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs after two players claimed a video coach who worked with the franchise had sexually assaulted them, according to a person familiar with the matter.”
Back in May 2010, when the Hawks were about to be crowned Stanley Cup champions, when in meeting with then-Blackhawks president John McDonough, vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, GM Stan Bowman and team sports psychologist James Gary, when then-skills coach Paul Vincent revealed what the players had told him about being assaulted. Vincent asked the team executives to contact the sex crimes division of the Chicago police, the source told Westhead, adding that the request was denied. A lawsuit filed last month in an Illinois court by an unnamed former Blackhawks player, who states that the team ignored allegations that he and an unidentified teammate were sexually assaulted in separate incidents by video coach Brad Aldrich. Alrich, who does not work for the Hawks organization anymore, is said to have sent the player “inappropriate text messages” and threatened him “physically, financially and emotionally” if he “did not engage in sexual activity.”
The players’ statement revealed even more disturbing events, that allegedly took place on May 16, 2010, before the opening game of the Western Conference finals between Chicago and the San Jose Sharks. The players allegedly told Vincent that on separate occasions Aldrich had gotten them drunk in his apartment, watched pornography, and then tried to perform oral sex on them. After the players shared their stories with Vincent, the then-Blackhawks skills coach asked Gary, the team’s sports psychologist, to follow up with the players, the person said. While Vincent demanded for a meeting with Blackhawks management on May 17, Gary allegedly convinced at least one of the former players “that the sexual assault was his fault, that he was culpable for what had happened, [and had] made mistakes during his encounter with the perpetrator and permitted the sexual assault to occur.” During the meeting, Vincent requested that the team report the alleged assault to Chicago police and asked his colleagues, “What would you do if this had happened to your son?” the person said. Vincent’s request was rejected, the person said.
Former Hawks players have been outraged and reacting to the news.
On Friday, Westhead revealed significant developments as it was confirmed that “A former Chicago Blackhawk’s legal team has asked a judge to order the NHL club to turn over ALL records relating to any allegation of sexual exploitation, credible or not, made against anyone in the organization.”
He added that “Plaintiff lawyer tells me plans also in works for issuing subpoenas to current and former Blackhawks executives.”
Fans and former players have reacted to this report, outraged that nothing was done and is still not being done. Let’s hope this latest development gets something going to get justice for the victims.
Source: TSN · Photo Credit: Twitter