NHL News : Colby Cave's wife Emily receives a sign from above that her husband is still with her

Colby Cave's wife Emily receives a sign from above that her husband is still with her

A bittersweet moment. RIP, Colby.

Published on by HockeyFeed in NHL News
Share on Facebook
0 0 Shares

It's hard to believe but it's been over a year since Edmonton Oilers forward Colby Cave suddenly and tragically died after suffering a massive brain hemorrhage. 

Colby passed away on April 11th, 2020, shortly after his wife Emily Cave was granted permission to say goodbye to her husband. Keep in mind that this all transpired during the absolute height of the COVID-19 pandemic prior to any proven treatments or vaccines.

Just days after Colby's death Emily shared the crushing details of her husband's final days, via ESPN's Emily Kaplan.

On Monday, April 6, everything was normal. At 9 p.m., Colby had an Instagram Live interview with a friend from Hillsong, the church we attended when we lived in Boston. When he finished his interview, he had a call from Oilers assistant GM Keith Gretzky. Keith told him, "When the NHL returns, we're going to have you come, Black Ace." It makes me so happy that Colby knew that. He was going back up to the Oilers, and he'd be an injury away from playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Keith was actually the last person to talk to Colby, besides me.
At 11 p.m., Colby started complaining of a headache. He said he was in a lot of pain. Colb was never sick. He didn't get the flu, never caught a cold, he was the epitome of health. I messaged my sister, who is a nurse, and started looking things up on Google. Colby said, "It's probably just a migraine." I remember saying, "What if it's not a migraine, Colb? What if it's a tumor?" He calmed me down and told me it probably wasn't that.
But through the night, he got significantly worse. He got up and vomited about four times, but then would fall back to sleep. I took his temperature at 6:30 a.m. and knew he really wasn't well. He was mumbling, I couldn't really make sense of it. I put on a mask and gloves and ran upstairs to my parents and told them, "Something's wrong with Colb. I feel it in my gut." By the time the ambulance got there, he was hypothermic and completely unresponsive.
It was so fast, so traumatic. Colby was airlifted to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto and underwent surgery to remove a colloid cyst from his brain. I wasn't allowed to be with him for any of it. Within 14 hours of Colb first saying he had a headache, I was told my 25-year-old husband was on life support. It wasn't until Thursday, when the doctor told me that Colby probably wasn't going to make it, that I was finally allowed into his hospital room, to physically be with him one last time, to tell him goodbye.

In the year that's passed Emily has tried to move on with her life while keeping her husband with her at all times. On social media she's made several posts about Colby "being with her", but none have struck a chord as much as yesterday's post to Twitter.

Check it out:

RIP, Colby. Gone, but never forgotten.

Share on Facebook
0 0 Shares

Source: Emily Cave · Photo Credit: -